Qualifications Development Manager
We are seeking someone who has excellent knowledge of assessment practice and qualification frameworks as well as regulatory requirements. You will use your established Communication Skills and Project Management experience to:
- Work with subject matter experts, sector professionals, academics and other key stakeholders to design new qualifications;
- Engage with Users to review qualifications (taking into consideration employer requirements and sector changes); and
- Build strong relationships with internal colleagues to pull all elements of the qualification design, development and review process together.
You will have a flare for writing and outstanding attention to detail. The role will require innovation and creativity to design, develop and create qualification specific products and resources that maintain the integrity of regulated qualifications.
Why work for Qualsafe Group?
Qualsafe employees operate in a relaxed environment where they are encouraged to manage their own workloads alongside the support of the wider team and management. We motivate employees to identify their own training or support needs, encouraging staff to self-reflect on working practices and identify areas they can improve on and progress within.
Qualsafe Awards is one of the largest Ofqual recognised Awarding Organisations in the UK and has been shortlisted for the Federation of Awarding Bodies (FAB) Awarding Organisation of the Year Award in both 2015 & 2016.
With extensive industry knowledge, we have a thorough understanding of what training organisations want and need from an Awarding Organisation. Our aim is to provide our Centres with a cost effective, professional awarding service with high quality standards and exceptional customer care. It is this unique commitment to high standards that has resulted in Qualsafe Awards receiving numerous industry accolades and 97% of our customers scoring our service as Excellent or Very Good.
Duties and responsibilities
The key priorities of this role are:
- Design new qualifications
- Develop and review existing qualifications
Meet regulatory requirements (Ofqual, Qualifications Wales, Council for Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment)
Duties and responsibilities of the Qualifications Development Manager are:
- Responsible for the design of new qualifications and the ongoing development, review and maintenance of existing qualifications, units/components and assessments across a range of sectors
- Identifying and responding to opportunities to enhance the qualification portfolio, including new markets, funding options, industry need, market demand and new initiatives
- Working closely with the Business Development Team to carry out research and produce business cases to support development proposals
- Ensuring, through effective communication and negotiation, that new qualifications are supported by relevant stakeholders (internal and external)
- Developing qualifications and supporting materials that are fit for purpose, while maintaining high quality standards
- Establishing development project teams, making sure that consideration is given to quality assurance, marketing/graphic design, delivery, assessment and IT requirements
- Project managing the process of qualification development including planning, management and execution of activities, ensuring delivery of projects on time
- Acting as relationship manager for any external qualification development partners
- Producing qualification assessments that are valid, reliable, minimise bias and are cost effective for Centres to deliver
- Making sure Qualsafe Awards’ qualifications are compliant with all regulatory, industry and legal requirements
- Preparing and submitting qualifications to regulators that meet their requirements
- Working with the Marketing team to make sure an appropriate marketing/communications strategy is established and implemented to manage a smooth integration and ensure that marketing opportunities are identified and maximised
- Liaising with QA staff responsible for qualifications policy and compliance
- Updating and revising qualifications when required or as appropriate based on User feedback, industry developments, legislation and performance data analysis.
- Ensure that throughout the design and development process an appropriate level of consideration is taken to manage potential/actual risks, malpractice and maladministration
- Collaborate with industry experts to ensure new and existing qualifications and assessments are fit for purpose and fulfil all relevant requirements
- Ensure the accuracy and quality standards of all qualifications are consistently maintained
- Evaluate and review the validity of new and existing qualifications, throughout the lifecycle
- Testing and live piloting of new qualifications to inform their development
- Set the appropriate criteria for approving Centres, Trainers and IQAs to deliver qualifications
- Agree the quality assurance standards for all new qualifications in line with the quality assurance strategy.
- Work with colleagues throughout the business to ensure all qualifications, assessments and supporting materials are fit for purpose and risk assessed appropriately in line with quality assurance and regulators’ requirements
Work closely with Users of qualifications and the Customer Support and Quality Assurance teams to implement, monitor and improve qualifications for Centres and Learners
Record and review feedback on qualifications from Users, EQAs and industry experts
Ensure Qualsafe Awards maintains its competitive position in the market by developing strategically important relationships with external stakeholders and influencers within the relevant sectors
Monitor and review key competitors’ activity and developments to inform qualification design and development processes
Collaborate with internal stakeholders to effectively manage change, implement system changes, identify solutions, develop communication strategy and implement improvements
Provide support and guidance to Centres with queries relating to qualifications, delivery, assessments and administration
Engage with external stakeholders, attending relevant events, conferences and meetings to ensure an up-to-date knowledge and understanding of requirements
Project manage the design, development and review of qualifications.
- Provide accurate and relevant internal communications ensuring key messages are accurate and delivered effectively in a timely manner
- Manage the integration of new qualifications, after the development and initial implementation stage, by ensuring early engagement from the relevant departments
- Make sure changes to qualifications are communicated effectively to Centre’s and internal staff and in a timely manner
- Work with internal stakeholders to oversee external communications strategy, providing information, guidance and support and where appropriate lead on delivery of the communications.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and understanding of current teaching practices, national occupational standards and principles of assessment/quality assurance
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and understanding of Ofqual General Conditions of Recognition and other regulatory requirements
- Support the e-Learning Designer to create quality e-Learning that meets the outcomes of qualifications (where relevant)
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and understanding of regulatory, industry and legal requirements throughout the lifecycle of all qualifications
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of apprenticeships, funding and any other changes in education policy
- Ensure ISO: 9001 quality standards are maintained, key processes, policies and procedures relating to areas of responsibility, are up to date and relevant.
- Act, at all times, in a way that will not bring Qualsafe Awards, its employees and representatives and the regulators into disrepute.
- Perform any other reasonable duties required on behalf of the business and management.
- Agree, monitor and manage personal achievements
- Contribute to cross-function projects and issues
- Collaborate positively with colleagues across the businesses
- Achieve KPIs specific to the role
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent
- Leadership and management qualification
- Teaching qualification
- Assessor qualification
- Quality Assurance qualification
- Health and Social Care related qualification e.g First Aid at Work, NVQ in Health and Social Care
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Minimum of two years’ experience working in the education sector, ideally for a regulated Awarding Body with the responsibility for developing units, qualifications and assessment strategies within the vocational qualification sector
- Knowledge and experience of compliance requirements and standards detailed in the Ofqual General Conditions of Recognition and other regulatory documents
- Knowledge and experience of collaborating with regulators, Skills Sector Councils, Centres and/or employers
- Knowledge and understanding of quality assurance strategies and best practice
- Ability to influence leaders and management, establish and maintain collaborative partnerships
- A high level of interpersonal skills and professional/personal integrity
- Excellent analytical, communication skills, including presentation skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, effectively prioritise workload and carry out multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to solve complex problems, make informed decisions and deliver results
- Excellent IT skills, organisational skills and attention to detail
- Flexible approach to work with a focus on delivery to deadlines and high standards
- Management and leadership experience, including personal development, project management and objective setting
- Experience of either developing qualifications and assessment strategies in line with National Occupational Standards or delivering, assessing or quality assuring regulated qualifications
- Experience and understanding of Quality Management Systems e.g. ISO:9001
- Experience of accessing funding through the Educational and Skills Funding Agency
- Knowledge and understanding of Apprenticeships
- Experience of developing online qualifications/assessments
Planning and organising – able to concentrate on several areas of work concurrently, to think proactively and prioritise workloads with minimum supervision.
Collaborative working – able to build and maintain relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders; to work collaboratively with colleagues, employers, regulators, professional bodies and industry experts to develop qualifications, offer support and resolve issues.
Communication – able to ensure all communication is clearly understood by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and nature of the information; able to understand the importance of good timing, and to evaluate information from a range of sources in a variety of formats.
Resilience – able to demonstrate high levels of self-motivation, with the ability to 'self-start' and demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and enthusiasm.
Flexibility – able to adapt and work effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change.